Tuesday 23 February 2010

Knitted fabrics for fashion


This is a little page from my sketchbook for our most recent project - designing a collection of fabrics for fashion. I began by looking at recent catwalk trends on WGSN and my fave site and new fave designer Bora Aksu http://knitkicks.wordpress.com/2009/12/29/bora-aksu-spring-summer-2010/. I was inspired by this spring's trend of 'underwear as outerwear' as seen here http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/trends/2010-spring-summer/100114-lingerie.aspx# and wanted to recreate this mood through my designs.





These are two of my final samples. I've used stitch transfers and smocking to create the diamond shape which is a continued theme throughout my collection.



For these two samples I knitted really really long tubes - stocking stitch about 5 stitches wide which naturally rolls in on itself to resemble a long tube - which I've then handknitted to achieve this chunky effect. It was a lot of fun knitting the grey cable sample with the biggest needles you've ever seen! (15mm Brittany birch needles)



For the second part of the module we've to take these fabrics and use them as a basis to design a garment for a chosen icon. I think I will chose Jenny Lewis who is a lovely folksy singer from California with amazing auburn hair and quirky, indie style. When she's not lounging around in her smalls she wears the cutsiest little high-waisted shorts, 70s style blouses and sharp hats. http://www.myspace.com/jennylewismusic - have a wee listen!



No comments:

Post a Comment